Last week my boss was out of the office, and it was a great time for me to catch up on projects that I had on the back burner. I try to take it (just a little) easier, enjoy a lunch or coffee date, and regroup, before he returns revved up for what's ahead. I also use the time to reevaluate my heart and spirit. I ask myself questions like:
- Is this still where God has called me, and if so, am I being faithful in every area He has entrusted me?
- Do I love my job? Is there any aspect of it I would like to address or adjust?
- Is there anything I am doing out of obligation and my heart is not in it? Am I here because I have to be or because I want to be?
- Am I enjoying my life? Are there any changes I need to make to remain spiritually and emotionally healthy?
- Is there any responsibility or project that I could take to the next level? Am I still operating in excellence?
This is not some highly dramatic monthly inspection, but I do believe it is important to periodically take personal inventory--- to make sure we are fully invested and engaged in the life God has given us and our hearts are free from anything that hinders what He wants to do in us.
In Psalm 139, David asked the Lord, "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life."
Let's take time to check our hearts, and make sure we are not living and working on autopilot. Because when my boss returns, it will be full speed ahead. And I want my focus to be set on what's in front of me and my heart to be happy doing it.
My prayer: Lord, I take this moment and invite You to search my heart. If there is anything that is not from You, remove it. If there is anything that needs to be cleaned out, adjusted, addressed, corrected, You have full access. Thank You for being the author AND finisher of my faith. Thank You for Your promise that He who began a good work in me will bring it to completion. I am so grateful that You are my guide, counselor, and redeemer. Check my heart, and confirm that I am on the path that You have set before me. I want to follow You in full obedience and be fully engaged where You have called me. Thank You for loving and leading my life!
Your turn: Do you take the opportunity to do anything differently when your boss is out of the office?